Flights & Travel Guide
< Flights to Detroit
> Tell us about your trip to Detroit -
Add Review or Comments
Why fly to Detroit?
It is the birthplace of America on wheels and that alone makes Detroit an important city to respect and visit. But beyond that is a music scene that just won't quit.
Detroit sits in the state of Michigan and sit on the Detroit River. The city is quite old by American standards, with its roots going back to the beginning of the 18th century.
To learn more about the city's history visit the city's museums like the Charles H.Wright Museum of African American History which is one of the most important institutions dedicated to the study of African-American history and culture in the country.
Some of the city's most beautiful buildings sit in the Washington Boulevard Historic District, they include Washington Square and the Book-Cadillac Hotel. Additionally, the city's church offer a little peek into the city's architectural history like Ste. Anne de Detroit, the Sweetest Heart of Mary and St. Mary's as well as St. Joseph Catholic Church.
The city has a very interesting dining scene which is a great mixture of the various cultures in the city. You can find some great Caribbean Jerk Chicken as well as delicious schwarma and lemony hummus at some of the Lebanese restaurants in the city. Prices are affordable and flavors are through the roof.
Detroit is a big sports city with several professional teams. During a winter visit you can catch a Detroit Red Wings game (and experience Detroit's hockey fans who are extremely spunky). In the summer cheer on the Detroit Tigers.
Summers in the city are hot with temperatures in the mid to high 20s. Winters are very cold and snowy and temperatures fall below the 0 mark. The spring and fall seasons are great for travelling as the weather finally finds a happy medium between the two.
When to fly to Detroit
Booking flights to the city in the summer means you will pay a premium as this is a popular time for visiting the region and the airport is a hub for the city and area.
The winter's frigid temperatures means a drop off in tourism and is also when you will find the best deals for flights to Detroit. December is still a popular time for flight bookings but if you book slightly before after you will find good prices.
Getting into Detroit
The Detroit Metro Airport is located close to half an hour outside of the city center. Once you get in you can either take bus transport or a taxi, however due to the distance many travellers opt for the rental car option especially if they are travelling with family and children.
Getting around Detroit
Detroit is a bit of a car town, however the city does have a good public bus system that can get you around the downtown and to the edges of the suburbs. The People Mover, which is a suspended rail system is also an option if you are sticking to the downtown core. If you want to visit Canada you can take the tunnel bus which will get you across the border. Taxis are also an option but can get costly if you travel too far outside downtown.
- If you head to Detroit during the end of summer you can catch the Detroit International Jazz Festival, which brings jazz greats from all over the US for a fantastic celebration of the art that has its roots in both Detroit and New York. International artists also headline the festival.
- Take a day trip to Canada. Windsor, Ontario is just a hop, skip and jump across the US-Canadian border. Once you're in the city, do what Canadians do every morning. Go to Tim Horton's for a coffee - this is the quintessential Canadian coffee chain and also offers a fantastic range of bagels to start your day.
- Detroit is known for it's car industry contribution and chances are you drive one. So head for a tour of the Ford company and see how your vehicle goes from being a hunk of metal to a functioning wheel-mobile.
- The city is also home to a great market that is frequented not only by Detroit residents but also by Canadians who hop the border as well as residents from neighboring cities. The Eastern Market has fresh fruits and vegetables as well as flowers for your sweetheart.
- Compare flights to Detroit from Australia on AirfaresFlights.com.au.
Detroit Tourism More information at